Time's Running Out
There are only a few hours left to help out families affected by the COVID-19 crisis. Gifts made today will be matched.
How To Help Your Child Succeed in Elearning
In the past month, many of us have added new words into our daily vocabulary such as social distancing, shelter in place, and elearning. Mercy Home for Boys & Girls is here to support you and your family with the tools to help the leaders of tomorrow succeed at home elearning.
Tips for E-Learning:
- Do your best and don’t stress: Elearning is new to all of us and no one is expected to be an expert. Take this experience day by day. You’ve got this!
- Create a schedule: Work with your child to create a daily schedule that allows enough time for him or her to complete all their assignments. We’ve provided an example schedule below.
- Familiarize yourself with your child’s e-learning tools (Google Classroom, Zoom, CPS Aspen Portal, email, etc.): Start your day by looking over the daily assignments with your child to plan for their day.
- Create an individual study spot: Allow this study spot to be away from distractions (siblings, electronics, toys, etc.).
- Make learning fun: Try out virtual field trips via Google Arts and Culture or National Parks in U.S. Tour; get active with your child during “PE”; search for an exciting craft from Pinterest; or sit down with your child and read one of their favorite books.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate: Utilize your resources at this time by reaching out to your child’s teacher via email. Encourage your child to ask for help and check in with their teachers daily. Your child’s teachers, school staff, and other educational resources are here to support you and your family!
- Plan for study breaks: Just like you need a break during the workday, your child needs to be given the flexibility to regroup before tackling another assignment or when schoolwork feels overwhelming. Make study breaks a fun family activity by making a healthy snack together or have them to teach you how to play their favorite video game.
Resources for Elearning
Free Xfinity Wi-Fi for Everyone
- For the next 60 days Comcast will be creating new policies to allow users to stay connected to the internet for educational, personal, and professional purposes!
Free Meals & Academic Resources Distributed at CPS Schools
- On Monday-Friday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m., all CPS schools will offer free meal distribution. Each child will receive a bag containing three days of breakfast and lunch.
- At-home enrichment activities packets will be distributed at CPS sites as well.
- Khan Academy: a free resource to continue learning while at home during school closures. Khan Academy provides learning content for ages 4 -18. It also offers educational courses ranging from early math, AP Art History, grade level reading, and Official SAT Prep.
- IXL: a paid resource that supports classroom learning at home. Some schools already utilize IXL in the classroom and have provided students with subscriptions. Family subscriptions range from $9.95-19.95 a month. IXL provides learning content for ages 4- 18.
- Online Physical Education for all ages:
Daily Schedule Example
|8:00 – 9:00:||Wake up, eat breakfast, get dressed, complete chores|
|9:00 – 9:30:||Create schedule for the day|
|9:30 – 10:30:||Elearning assignment, check in with teachers|
|10:30 – 10:45:||Study break|
|10:45 – 11:45:||Elearning assignment|
|11:45 – 12:30:||Lunch break|
|12:30 – 1:30:||Physical movement|
|1:30 – 2:30:||Elearning assignment or family educational activity|
|2:30 – 2:45:||Break/Healthy snack|
|2:45 – 3:45:||Complete elearning and plan for tomorrow’s schedule|
|3:45 – 9:00:||Family time (Cook dinner together, complete chores, play games, watch a show)|
|9:00 – 10:00:||Prep for bed and lights out!|
Remember that these next few weeks are not about being perfect, so take it one day at a time. The most important thing you can do for your child right now is to be there for him or her in this time of uncertainty. Enjoy each day together and see the wonders of growth and education because pretty soon you’ll be sitting behind your desk wishing you were home with your precious children.