Statistics on Child Abuse and Neglect
The following national child abuse statistics from Childhelp and DOSOMETHING.org present facts on how abused youth in the United States are affected by violence and maltreatment:
- Every year, there are 3 million reports of child abuse in the United States.
- For every incident of child abuse or neglect that’s reported, an estimated two incidents go unreported.
- A report of child abuse is made every 10 seconds
- Almost five children die every day as a result of child abuse. More than three out of four are under the age of 4.
- Child abuse occurs across all socioeconomic levels, ethnic and cultural lines, and religions and education levels.
- Neglect, the most widespread form of child abuse, makes up more than 59% of abuse cases.
Types of Child Abuse
All types of abuse are damaging. Even if less physically noticeable, they still bear scars and require intervention to protect a child’s life.
- Physical Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- Emotional Maltreatment
Signs of Child Abuse
- Repeated physical and mental problems
- Learning problems not attributed to physical or psychological causes
- Lacks adult supervision
- Is overly compliant, passive or withdrawn
Ways to Help Mercy Home Fight Child Abuse
- Be a mentor.
- Learn the facts about child abuse and child abuse prevention.
- Be a good role model.
Find more information on our charity and the fight against child abuse in Chicago.