Time's Running Out
There are only a few hours left to help out families affected by the COVID-19 crisis. Gifts made today will be matched.
#GivingTuesdayNow is almost over. Only a few hours left to help our families affected by the COVID-19 crisis. Gifts made today will be matched up to $50,000 thanks to the generosity of a dedicated group of employees at William Blair and its matching gifts program.
In the Kitchen with Nyah: Thanksgiving Leftover Pizza
Just like any other family, the Mercy Home family has its own holiday traditions.
Our AfterCare program, which provides support to more than 200 of our former residents, has a unique celebration each year to mark Thanksgiving—a pizza party! That doesn’t mean the offerings don’t have that traditional Thanksgiving taste, however.
Thanks to our Manager of Food Service Operations Nyah Griffin, who is also a former resident of Mercy Home, our AfterCare members enjoy a special pizza made with Thanksgiving leftovers each year. It’s become a Mercy Home tradition!
We hope this video gives you a look into one of the many ways Mercy Home makes the holidays special for the young people we serve.
If you’re interested in trying out this special Mercy Home dish for yourself, Nyah was kind enough to share her recipe for Thanksgiving Leftover Pizza!
- 1 package of cornbread mix
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 quart of gravy
- 1 cup precooked turkey
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 1/4 bell pepper and 1/4 onion to make around 1 cup combined
- Prepare cornbread crust following the ingredients on the back of the package. Add the sage, poultry seasoning, black pepper, and garlic powder for flavoring. Put into the oven and bake while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Chop onions and peppers. Try to cut pieces around the same size so they cook evenly. Sautee the veggies.
- Heat up leftover gravy.
- Combine the cranberries with the cooking sherry in a pan and heat until it comes to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Shred your leftover turkey.
- Take your crust out of the oven and poke holes in the bread to allow for gravy to absorb.
- Pour gravy sauce over crust and spread evenly.
- Spread peppers, onions, turkey and cranberries over pizza.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!