Time's Running Out
There are only a few hours left to help out families affected by the COVID-19 crisis. Gifts made today will be matched.
#GivingTuesdayNow is almost over. Only a few hours left to help our families affected by the COVID-19 crisis. Gifts made today will be matched up to $50,000 thanks to the generosity of a dedicated group of employees at William Blair and its matching gifts program.
“Noshing with Nyah”: BBQ
Nothing screams summer more than BBQ! In this three-part series of “Noshing with Nyah,” co-worker Nyah grilled a mouthwatering meal at the Walsh Girls Campus.
The BBQ-inspired dish included Korean BBQ Short Rib Tacos with Kale Slaw and Corn on the Cob with Scallion Butter. Recipes below!
Korean BBQ Short Rib Tacos
- 1 lb Korean style short ribs (cut 1/4-inch thick and 3-4-inch long)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
- 2 tbsp ginger (grated)
- 1/3 cup mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tbsp sambal
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- 4 corn tortillas
- In a large bowl, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin and whisk to combine.
- Submerge the short ribs in the soy sauce mixture and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over high heat.
- Remove the beef short ribs from the soy sauce marinade and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and place on the grill to cook until deeply charred on both sides, about 1-1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Remove to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips. Assemble.
- 1 fresh squeezed lime
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bag chopped kale salad kit
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced thin (grilled)
- 1/3 bunch chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, olive oil, sugar, ground cumin and sea salt. Whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the kale salad kit, red bell pepper and chopped cilantro. Mix until all of the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Re-whisk the dressing, then pour over the vegetables and stir to coat evenly. Season to taste with pepper.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and let chill for 15–20 minutes.
- 1 stick butter
- 2 scallion stalks (diced)
- 2 tsp garlic powder pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve on top of corn immediately.
Thanks to our Manager of Food Service Operations Nyah Griffin, who is also a former resident of Mercy Home, for these delicious recipes and for always making sure our kids have nutritious meals!